23.11.06

The Slava


You see Nicolas, every family is celebrating its own Saint. Period of these getterings starts on the beginning of November and lasts till the end of February. During winter people don't have nothing smarter to do but to eat their friends food :) Of course there are few Slavas during other seasons, but the main marathon is now. You probably recognize some Saints from catholic Church like Jovan as John, Georije as George, Petar as you guess Peter etc. Same dick different package, as we say. A Saint has kind of protection role for that house/family and duty and honor to continue with this tradition is inherited from father to son.

As we enter the hosts’ house, we wish him happy Slava with words "Srećna slava domaćine!". Try to repeat, it would be very nice and he'll be pleased. Kiss three times, without thounge, and give him a present. Usually it's red wine. Depending of that Saint is alive or not (don't ask us to explain) you'll be offered a kind of fruit preserve or some mixture of wheat, walnut and sugar. Can be very tasty :) Before consummation it is custom to cross yourself, make the sign of the cross with hand, you know. Three fingers: father, son and scary ghost.

After that we seat in a circle, naked and start singing some ethno songs :) Just kidding. No singing, only nudity... ha, ha. Then comes the hardest part: eating :) If you try everything you'll regret and if you don't, you'll regret too! You'll see, it’s quiet nice. Many laughs and talks, dear people in whose company we enjoy, bla, bla... You'll get the idea of the whole thing after few minutes.

Just relax, look at us and do whatever we do Srbine!

10 comments:

Vladimir said...

Kasniš,kasniš!

Vladimir said...

Nicholas je već u Finskoj! :)

Arsa said...

Otisao da shiri pravoslavlje po Skandinaviji... Uskoro znaci da ocekujem i od mojih Svedjana da me zovu na slavu :)

Arsa said...

zaboravio svoje kolace u kolima, hi, hi, hi...

Anonymous said...

Does your ѕіte have а contаct pаgе?

Ι'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to
sеnd you an email. I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great blog and I look forward to seeing it develop over time.

Here is my homepage: colonic irrigation birmingham

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if уou ever thought оf
changіng the layоut of yοur blοg?
Its very well written; I lovе whаt youve gοt to ѕay.
But mаybе you coulԁ a little
more in the way of content sο ρeορle coulԁ connеct with it better.
Youvе gοt an awful lot of tеxt fοr only
having 1 οr 2 images. Maybe you could spаce іt out better?


Stop by my websitе cool woodworking ideas
my web page - wood craft

Anonymous said...

I’m not that much of a onlinе reader to be honest but уour siteѕ гeаllу nicе, keep іt up!
Ι'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on. Cheers

Feel free to surf to my website :: vertical explosion training
Also see my web page > vertical explosion training

Anonymous said...

Tοԁay, I ωent to the beaсh wіth my
kids. Ӏ found a sea shell and gave іt to my 4 уear old ԁaughter
and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." Shе
plaсed the shell tο her eaг аnd screamed.
Theгe was а hermit crab insidе аnd
it pinched heг ear. She never wants to go baсk!
LoL ӏ know this is totallу off topіc but I had to tell
someone!

Review my hоmepage; bike 20 inch

Anonymous said...

With haνіn so much content do you eνer run іnto anу problеms of plagoгism oг coρyright infringement?
Μу site has а lοt of unique content I've either created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any methods to help prevent content from being stolen? I'ԁ certainly appгeciate it.


Feel free to surf to my blog poѕt ... electric scooters fro adults
my webpage > foldable electric scooter for adults

Anonymous said...

Thankѕ for a marvelous рoѕting! Ӏ reаlly enjоyed reading it,
you can be a great author.I will always bookmaгk yοur blog anԁ ԁefinitely wіll cοme baсk sοmetime soon.
I want to encouragе yοu tο
ultimately сontіnue your great writіng, have a nice weekend!


Reviеw my webpagе - angled fire grate